Serves 8 (half pepper pp)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped (½ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen spinach
- 2 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup quinoa (I used red)
- 3 large carrots, grated (1½ cups
- grated parmesan cheese
- 4 large red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, ribs removed/
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery, and cook 5 minutes, or until soft, add garlic. Stir in spinach and tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated.
2. Stir in black beans, quinoa, carrots, and 2 cups water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. Stir in 1 cup cheese. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F /175 Celcius
4. Fill each bell pepper half with heaping ¾-cup quinoa mixture, and place in baking dish. Cover with foil, and bake 1 hour. Uncover, and sprinkle each pepper with 1 Tbs. remaining cheese (if desired). Bake 15 minutes more, or until tops of stuffed peppers are browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Transfer stuffed peppers to serving plates and enjoy with a yummy salad.