Until this summer I had never eaten meatloaf (!) and I grew up in cattle country (shame on me). So I decided to try to make one myself, and what i had missed out on. It fast became one of my favorite dishes. Its easy to make. Its filling and really tasty. so here you go, my recipe of an incredible meatloaf.
500g / 17, 6 ounces minced meat
½ dl / 0.2 cups of breadcrumbs
2 dl / 0,8 cups milk or cream
1 small yellow onion
1 tbsp. butter
1 -1 ½ tsp. salt
Pepper according to taste
4 big tomatoes
1 red onion
- heat the oven to 175 C / F
- let the breadcrumbs swell in the milk for about 10 minutes, in a big bowl.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.fry in butter in a saucepan until it has got some color. Put it to the side and let it cool down.
- Mix the minced meat together with the breadcrumb mixture, egg, onion, salt and pepper. Work it well.
- Form the minced meat to a oblong loaf. Cover with bay leafs and place it in a greased oven dish.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and place around the meatloaf.
- Peel and slice the onion.
- Garnish the tomato half’s with the onion, salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven for 45-60 minutes.
- Serve the meatloaf with the tomatoes, and cooked or mashed potatoes