This is a recipe I made a few weeks back and still hasn’t gotten around to posting it, not really having a reason to why I haven’t except procrastination.
Apple cinnamon buns, a deathly combination, seriously I can eat cinnamon buns everyday without ever getting sick of them, I love making them and they are just plain great.
50 grams of yeast
5 dl / 2 cups of milk
1 dl/ 0.4 cups of sugar
100 grams/ 3.5 ounces of butter (room-temperature)
1/2 of teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons of cardamom
About 4-5 cups of flour/10-12 dl
250 grams/ 8.8 ounces of butter
about 2 teaspoons of vanilla sugar
/ about 3 tablespoons of sugar
3-5 apples diced
1 whisked egg
- Crumble the yeast in a big bowl, heat the milk so it’s body temperature, pour the milk over the yeast and stir until the yeast and milk is one.
- Add butter, sugar, salt and cardamom. Add some of the flour (about 1.5 cups), make sure the flour is airy and not compact. Start to work the flour into the dough, you can use a hand mixer with the mixers that are used for dough’s. Add more flour, a little at a time. It’s enough when the dough starts to loosen from the edges of the bowl.
- Cover with a kitchen towel. Let stand for 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 250 celcious / 480 degrees Fahrenheit. Tuck the dough out (split it in 2) and put the filling on. You can mix the butter with the vanilla sugar. Cover the thin dough with butter.
In a seperate bowl, mix cinnamon, apples and sugar, and then divide it evenly over the dough. Roll from one side to another and cut, or braid.
- Cover the buns and let stand for 30 min, covered. Whisk the egg, brush the buns and sprinkle brown sugar on top.
- Bake until they get a little color. About 7 min.