Today’s recipe is a lamb stew that has been cooked in my brick oven for 24 hours; it requires minimal work and has an amazing taste to it, it’s a great hearty comfort food.
We have a brick oven in our backyard and to say that it is used frequently is a big lie. But every now and again we fire it up, and we fill it up, we make pizza, legume stews, bread, vegetables and much more.
This stew one can make both in cast iron pot/dish on low heat or in a brick oven.
2.2 pounds/ 1 kg of lamb meat
2 potatoes diced
2 garlic cloves
½ dried chili pepper
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 carrot chopped
½ bottle of a good red wine
2 cups/4.5 dl of vegetable broth
- Start by chopping the vegetables (not the garlic cloves). Place in the cast iron dish with a bit of olive oil.
(if you are cooking on a regular stove. Let all vegetables cook together with a bit of olive oil for about five minutes.)
- Add the meat.
(If you are cooking it on a stove let the meat cook for a few minutes until it has gotten a bit of color.
- Add spices and chili pepper. Cover with wine and broth. Cover with a lid.
- Place cast iron dish in brick oven.
- Stir every 4-5 hours, if you notice that the liquid starts to evaporate, add some more.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.